*Featured Holiday Recipe*
Sausage and white bean ragout – Elbow macaroni, ground beef, Italian sausage, white beans and a robust tomato sauce make this a comfort food dinner recipe. This might be your new hearty favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3-4 spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
- 2 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice with garlic, oregano, and basil-I used Red Gold
- 2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth or stock
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 C chopped fresh basil, reserve 1/2 C for garnish
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 C small elbow macaroni
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- Additional grated Romano cheese for serving
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 6 minutes.
- Add beef and sausage and saute until brown, breaking up meats with back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, beans, 1 cup basil, oregano, and dried crushed red pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to bite, about 15 more minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- If you would like the spinach to remain uncooked, then add a layer of it to your serving bowls, then ladle the ragout over it.
- Mix in 1/3 cup cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cheese and basil.