*Featured Holiday Recipe*
This savory vegetarian galette is topped with fresh pears, gorgonzola cheese, and sweet caramelized onions. This is an easy and impressive holiday appetizer.
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 TB of balsamic vinegar
- 1 TB of butter, melted
- pinch of salt/fresh pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 firm Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 TB of flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 C of coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 oz of crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the onion in the butter and balsamic over medium high heat, 30 to 35 minutes until all caramelized and brown (this time can vary as caramelizing onions can do). Add a bit of salt and pepper and set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust, on a parchment lined stone or cookie sheet, into a 14″ circle.
- Combine the pear slices and flour, toss gently to coat.
- Spread most of the onions to with-in 4″ of the edges. Add the pear over the onions then add the rest of the onions and sprinkle the cheese and pecans over the top.
- Fold over the edges to form a ‘crust’, pressing gently to seal. Brush the dough edges with a bit of the beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. You can place foil on the edges if you think it is browning too much.