With protein often being the centerpiece of your meal, wouldn’t you love to know that the burger, pork chop, or chicken breast on your plate came from a local producer? Our guide represents just a fraction of the more than 56,000 farming operations in Indiana, but we are willing to bet that you’ll be able to find a producer near you.
Our protein guide shares the Indiana Grown members who sell their products directly to the public. These producers sell a variety of proteins including:
- Wagyu Beef
Download a map of your own to find the closest producer near you. Members are listed by county and include which types of protein they offer as well as contact information so you can place your own order!
Agriculture contributes an estimated $31.2 billion to Indiana’s economy, so not only will you be supporting the local economy, you’ll also be contributing to the overall economic health of Indiana. Here are some more interesting facts you may not know about the protein industry in Indiana:
- Indiana ranks first nationally in commercial duck production
- There are more than 20.5 million turkeys in Indiana
- As a state, Indiana is number 2 in total chickens and total eggs produced
- Indiana has an estimated 187,000 dairy cows
- We are number 4 in the nation for our amount of turkeys raised
- Indiana ranks fifth nationwide in hog production with more than 4.2 million hogs statewide
Learn more ag facts on the Indiana State Department of Agriculture‘s website!
Check out these additional meat & poultry product resources from the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH):
- Indiana Meat & Poultry Buyer’s Guide (2018)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Meat & Poultry Products
- Temperature Cooking Guide for Meat & Poultry
- Meat, Poultry Safe Storage Guide
This guide only represents Indiana Grown member producers and is not an exhaustive list of protein producers in Indiana.
As new members join the Indiana Grown Protein Guide, we will post updates periodically.